Providing Universities and Colleges with a Shared Service Resource Data Protection Officer to meet their individual requirements.
Service deliverables include:
- Act as DPO in fulfilling the statutory obligations of the role wherever empowered to do so.
- Provide experience, expertise and guidance in Data Protection and GDPR.
- To review and update periodically each institution’s data protection policy and supporting procedures.
- To have knowledge of case law / ICO decisions and dissemination of learnings, to recommend actions and issue guidance informed by this.
- To provide annual Data Protection Assessments and Compliance Reports to governing bodies / senior management teams.
- To achieve a fundamental understanding of the sector to ensure pragmatic, proportionate and workable guidance and support is delivered.
- Participation in operational meetings and offering advice on how regulations impact upon institutions.
- Training provided/offered to institutional staff.
- Approach Service delivery in a tailored way taking account of each institution’s different environment/circumstances. Contextualise guidance in different functional areas within institutions, ensuring advice is consistent with that provided to other shared service members.
- Develop and support the use of data protection assessment tools and templates (privacy assessment tools etc) and share them across DPO-Share SSR’s / utilise tools templates as developed by other DPO-Share SSR’s to maximise efficiency.
- Undertake breach investigations and report matters to senior management.
- Use of balance judgement. Deal with competing priorities/demands.
- Appropriately tailored solution for different institutions/circumstances.
- Central/Single point of investigation (should a breach impact more than one member institution).
- Provide consistency of advice across institutions.
- Contextualised guidance in different functional areas within institutions (HR, Finance etc.).
- Available over phone for immediate questions/advice even if at a work day at another institution.